• Region: north of the Danube between Braila and Galatz, often combined with Dobrudscha villages
  • Area: earlier Wallachia, now Muntenia in Romania
  • District: Braila
  • Rayon:
  • Founded: 1843/1844 by mostly Bessarabian Separatists
  • Religion: Ev. Lutheran
  • Location: A-11
  • Longitute and Latitude:
  • Parish: Odessa, temporarily in 1865 part of the Prussian Lutheran Church of Berlin, Braila, today Konstanza
  • German Name: Jakobsonst(h)al
  • Romanian name: after 1940 Baldovenesti, today Piscul German
  • Russian Name:
  • Ukrainian Name:

Village Coordinator: Elvire Necker-Eberhardt


     Jakobsonsthal was the only German village in Romania outside the Dobrudscha and Bessarabia, i.e. north of the Danube and west of the Pruth River. However, as the Jakobsonsthal Germans in 1940 were resettled together with those of the Dobrudscha, this village is usually lumped together with this group.


   The first baptism in Jakobsonsthal’s church book is entered in April 12, 1843 but 1844 is usually given as the founding year for this village.

In the spring of 1844 a group of 45 families settled in the region between Braila and Galatz, at the mouth of the Sereth tributary, north of the Danube. Most of these early settlers were so called Separatists from Bessarabia who had wandered around since 1842 in search for land. They finally resided here despite strong warnings of the governor of the Braila district, Arnold von Jakobson. This area was known for its frequent Danube floods. Sure enough in 1846, 1857, 1861, and later on in 1897 Jakobsonsthal’s mud brick houses dissolved by the Danube and Sereth waters.

Another problem existed for these villagers as they were considered “foreigners” by the local authorities and as such could only rent or lease land. Only in 1922 with the Romanian agrarian reform could they purchase 5 or 6 ha of land, too little really to sustain a family.  

Despite all these conditions, many of Jakobsonsthal’s inhabitants kept rebuilding their village so that in 1940 together with the Dobrudscha Germans 163 of them were resettled in Germany. Others however, left over the years and moved to Bessarabia (to Bortscheag, Oneschti, etc.) or settled in Acpunar, Atmagea, Catalui or other Dobrudscha villages.

Until 1940 the name “Jakobsonsthal” remained for the Germans as a tribute to the village’s first benefactor, Arnold von Jakobson. During WWII its name became Baldovenesti, to day it is known under Piscul German or General Praporgescu.

Genealogical material for this village can be found in the Galatz LDS films # 127 0534 and 127 0535 for the years 1856 – 1941 and the Jakobsthal (sic) LDS film # 176 8087 for births 1843 – 1877, marriages 1868 – 1879 and deaths 1868 – 1880.

for members onlyJakobsonsthal Family Names

for members onlyJakobsonsthal Village Births

for members onlyJakobsonsthal Village Births Galatz Film

for members onlyJakobsonsthal Confirmands LDS Galatz for 1859/ 1866/ 1874/ 1875

for members onlyJakobsonsthal Village Marriages

for members onlyJakobsonsthal Village Marriages 1856 – 1941 Galatz Records

for members onlyJakobsonsthal Village Deaths

Click on map below to view larger map of Jakobsonsthal

Jakobsonsthal map