GDO families came from Hungary as well as Germany and Poland/Prussia. Many of the GDO village data sheets list the names of the pioneer settlers.
Immigration and moving about in South Russia
- 252-1-229 - Emigrant families to Grossliebental District references surnames WAHL, KIEMELE, MEYER, BETZ and KLEPFER (Chasing those dead people by Dale Wahl)
- 252-1-229 - Emigrant families to GDO 1819 -1833 references surnames EBEL, KOPP, OTTO, SCHMID, STOLPP, and WÜST.
- Movement into and out of Bessarabia villages relates to the following GDO villages: Alexanderhilf, Franzfeld, Freudental, Grossliebental, Güldendorf, Helenental, Kleinliebental, Lustdorf, Neu Freudental, Neuburg and Peterstal
- Family Registry Gochsen, Nekarsulm, Wuerttemberg - Barreth, Jäger, Kress from Freudental and Mariental
- 1852 - Those Outside of the Village
- 134-2-134 - Immigration to Akkermann Kreis Bessarabia (134-2-134) contains information on settlers from the following GDO villages: Franzfeld, Freudental, Grossliebental, Güldendorf, Helenental, Neu Freudental, and Peterstal
- 252-1-257 - Settlers who were to go to Grusien but are in the Odessa region
- Passport & Transport lists from GRHS Clearinghouse (includes archives lists from 1809 and 1803-1894)
- The Black Sea German-Russian Census Vol. I (available at the GRHS Store) has censuses from many of the Odessa-area villages. See the index of surnames.
Researching families in Germany
- How to Research Your Ancestors in Germany - from the Heritage Review (June 2008)
- GRHS Ort Coordinators (OCs) - volunteers who can help you research your German village of ochaptersin
- German Ort Indexes from the Christian Fiess files (by German village)
- Ort projects from the Clearing House include several compilations of research from German villages
- Elli's Korner includes a list of some emigrants from Württemberg (DAI film 599) and a Lübeck marriage list with some German village ochaptersins (DAI film 597)
- Ingrid Reule's Korner includes lists of emigrants from several German villages
- Allen Konrad's Korner has many documents related to families from Germany
- Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg online search engine for emigrants from Baden, Württemberg, and Hohenzollern
- Alsace (aka Elsaß) Genealogy Genwiki
Researching families in Hungary
Some German families came to Russia after spending one or more generations in Hungary.
- History of Germans to Hungary and list of surnames by Hungarian village
- Germans from Hungary to Russia database
- Clearing House Hungary projects
- From Germany to Hungary to Russia, a presentation from the 2007 & 2008 GRHS conventions
- Sammelwerk donauschwäbischer Kolonisten by Stefan Stader - a fabulous compilation of info on Germans in Hungary. Some books available on microfilm from the FHL.
Researching families in Poland & Prussia
A number of German families, the "Warsaw Colonists," emigrated from Poland/Prussia to Russia. (Due to border changes, sometimes the area where they lived was called "South Prussia" and sometimes "Poland.")
Resources for researching Germans in Poland